World Sleep Day: Everything you need to know about getting a goodnight’s rest.
Along with diet and lifestyle, sleep is critical to good health and well being. Quality sleep is known to improve alertness, productivity, memory and mood. When we sleep, our bodies begin a healing process. A vital function of sleep is to help our and consolidate new memories, etching experiences more indelibly. A good night’s sleep is a tiny vacation that is inherent to feeling our best.
But first, the basics.
Sleep usually passes through five stages: 1,2,3,4 and REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. A complete sleep cycle takes an average of 90 to 110 minutes. The first sleep cycles each night have relatively short REM sleep and long periods of deep sleep. But later in the night, REM period lengthen and deep sleep time decreases.
How to improve sleep quality
* Keep the room temperature comfortably cool – around 30 °C –and the room well ventilated.
*Avoid bright lights before sleep, use low-wattage bulbs instead.
*Avoid caffeine (found in coffee, tea, chocolate, cola) four to six hours before bedtime.
*Finish dinner several hours before bedtime and avoid food that causes indigestion.
How to unwind before bedtime
Try these tips to fall asleep easily:
Inhale through your left nostril
This yoga exercise reduces blood pressure and has a calming effect. Holistic sleep therapist Peter Smith says: “Lie on your left side, resting a finger on your right nostril to close it. Start slow, deep breathing through the left nostril.” Experts say this technique is particularly good when overheating or hot flushes are preventing sleep.
Relaxing all your muscles can prepare your body for sleep. Anxiety expert Charles Linden says: “Lie on your back, slowly take a deep breath and at the same time squeeze your toes tightly as if you are trying to curl them under your foot. Then release the squeeze.”
Try to stay awake.
Challenge yourself to stay awake and your mind will rebel! It’s called the sleep paradox, says psychotherapist Julie Hirst: “Keep your eyes wide open, repeat to yourself ‘I will not sleep’. The brain does not process negatives well, so interprets this as an instruction to sleep and eye muscles tire quickly as sleep creeps up”.
The “4-7-8” exercise
* Place the tip of your tongue against the tissue ridge right above your upper front teeth.
* Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound as you do so.
* Close your mouth, inhale slowly through your nose, counting to four.
* Hold your breath and mentally count to seven.
* Exhale completely through your mouth and count to eight.
* Make the same whoosh sound.
* Repeat for a total of eight renditions
DIY acupressure for good sleep
Based on the use of deep massage and applied pressure to energy meridians and pressure points, acupressure is thought to help remove toxins, improve circulation, reduce muscle pain and release endorphins.
* Apply gentle pressure to the small depression on the level of your brows, right above the nose for a minute.
* Press that area between your first and second toes, on top of the foot, for a few minutes until you feel a
* Find the distance one-third back from the tips of your toes and press on the sole of your foot for a few minutes.
* Massage both your ears for a minute.
Disclaimer: Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Konkanworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article. Please note that under 66A of the IT Act, sending offensive or menacing messages through electronic communication service and sending false messages to cheat, mislead or deceive people or to cause annoyance to them is punishable. It is obligatory on Konkanworld.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request. Hence, sending offensive comments using Konkanworld.com will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Konkanworld.com be held responsible. Similarly, Konkanworld.com reserves the right to edit / block / delete the messages without notice any content received from readers.